2018 President’s Message
Greetings to all,
I come to you with a message of gratitude and excitement for what is the vision for my term of service as your 34th National President for the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. I appreciate the opportunity to build on the work of my predecessor, Soror Jennifer Jones and her administration over a decade of service. I believe my previous work in NPHC over the years, as well as my leadership and life experiences will give me a unique perspective in charting a course forward while embracing the history of the past.
I take this opportunity to present my vision and priorities for my term of service for the 2018-2020 years. I am thankful for an administration that shares my excitement and commitment to NPHC. I present to you my top 10 items for the upcoming term. They are not necessarily in order as the work will overlap.
1. A smooth transition of current officers of the NPHC leadership
2. Increasing the communication to councils regarding the NPHC agenda
3. Dissemination of the Council of Presidents (COP) agenda to NPHC councils
4. Increasing the number of active and financial councils at the Collegiate and Alumni levels
5. Effective participation with the National Institute of Health (NIH) partnership to impact health outcomes for our communities. Remember “All of Us Research Program”
6. Voter registration, education and mobilization to the voting polls with an overall goal to impact ALL elections.
7. Bridging relationships with NPHC at all levels
8. Increase the number and strengthening global councils that reflect our growing numbers of chartered D9 organizations across the globe
9. Defining NPHC relevance
10. Biennial conference planning to attract participation, engagement and effective training for our members
“To whom much is given, much is required”. I believe that is my challenge to use my talents, knowledge and time to make a difference. I have outlined a vision that together we can measure our progress.
I look forward to a great journey and will appreciate your feedback along the way. I wish you a great year that includes good health and as many blessings as you can receive!
Yours in service,
Soror Vanetta Cheeks Reeder
34th National President of NPHC
More about Vanetta:
Vanetta Cheeks Reeder is the 34th National President of the National Pan-Hellenic Council. Vanetta was initiated into Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. at the University of Pittsburgh in 1982. She has been a member of her sorority for 35 years and is a Life member with Ruby status. She has held a variety of Greek leadership roles in both her sorority and the NPHC consisting of 21st Northeastern Regional Syntaktes/ Director, Chapter- Basileus, Anti-Basileus, Grammateus, NPHC Eastern Region Director, Assistant Director, Secretary, NPHC of Philadelphia President, Vice President and Order of Omega.
She holds a Bachelors of Science in Nursing from University of Pittsburgh and Masters of Science in Nursing from Temple University. Currently she works as Nurse Educator of Perioperative Services for Jefferson Torresdale-Northern Division in Philadelphia. Vanetta has also served in several capacities related to her career in nursing and in her church community. She is a Past President of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN). In her church she serves on the Women’s Missionary Society of the American Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church and Young People’s Division (YPD) Director for the past 8 years. This past July she became a member of the Board of Directors of the Southwest Belmont Community Association.
Vanetta has been married for 25 years to Angelo B. Reeder, Jr. of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. They have one daughter, Ayanah Reeder, in college. Vanetta enjoys shopping and scrapbooking in her spare time. Vanetta and her family reside in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.